Thursday, April 15, 2010

Swiss Loaf

"The I Hate to Cook Book" is an amazing book with interesting easy recipes and great humor.  The real interesting part is the tastes of  1950's and 1960's.  Food has really changed.  Either way, here is meat loaf with a twist.

Origin:  "The I Hate to Cook Book"

Ingrediants:
  • 2 pounds hamburger
  • 1 1/2 cups dices Swiss Cheese
  • 2 beaten eggs
  • 1/2 cup chopped onions
  • 12 cup chopped green peppers
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp celery salt
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 cp dry bread crumbs
Directions:
"Just mix thest things together in the approximate order they're given, then press it all into one big greased loaf pan, or used two.  Bake, uncoverd at 350F for abotu an hour and a half, then yodel for the family."


Honestly, not much to this.  A couple of changes.  I have never owned celery salt so there was none added.  Green bell peppers are the most foul of all living things so I substituted red ones instead.  I also cut the recipe in half.  2 pounds of meat seemed excessive.  The other thing is I used 80/20 ground beef so meat loaf does not really work that well.  I think I may have to brown and drain prior if I decide to try this again. 

For the moment this is not making it into the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment