Saturday, April 17, 2010

Oatmeal Bar War: Strawberry Oatmeal Bars

Battle number 2.  Another attempt at gaining a foothold in the oatmeal bar business.  Not that I am going to sell them.  Just that I want to make them and eat them.  Either way, this is not something an obsesive compulsive like me should really go into.  Baking can be such a torture.  Sometimes.
Origin:  http://www.allrecipes.com/
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 cup quick cookign oats
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup melter butter
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup stawberry preserves
  • 1/2 cup coconut flake
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
  3. Add in butter and vanilla and stir until crumbly.
  4. Set aside 1 cup.
  5. Press remaining crumb mixture into a 13x9" baking pan. 
  6. Spread preserves over crust.
  7. Combine coconut flake with reserved crumb mixture and sprinkle over preserves.
  8. Bake for 30min.
Okay, so the bastards that posted this on http://www.allrecipes.com/ had instrustions that read, "In a bowl, combine all dry ingrediats."  I took this to include the coconut flake as well.  I was wrong because as I was following the directions I got the part listed as number 6.  Sure I should have read the directions first but where is the fun and adventure in that.  Either way, I like it my way.  So get rid fo number 6 and add the coconut to number 2 and all will be fantastic.  Also, Strawberry jam work just as well as preserves.
Overall, another hit on the recipe front.  This absolutly makes the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment